ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Post Graduate department of English was started in the year 2013 with the purpose of furthering the higher education of women students and to channelize their thoughts in the fields of research. The programme aims to familiarize the students to the various aspects of literature, its genres, literary schools, movements, authors, cultures and ideologies. The course intends to groom the students to become well rounded individuals and empowered personalities in the society and to train them to have a critical and inclusive thought towards life as revealed through literature.
The course also intends to bring out employable graduates not only in the field of teaching but also to equip them to cater to the demands of business processes. So the students have a spectrum of job opportunities as content writers, copy editors, freelancers, translators, journalists, entrepreneurs etc.
- Ms. ARCHANA R, Assistant Professor & Head ,M.A. , B.Ed., M.Phil., SET, NET.
- Ms.HYRUN FATHIMA NOUSHEEN ,Assistant Professor, M.A., M.Phil., SET.
- Ms. GAYATHRI V, Assistant. Professor, M.A., M.Phil., SET.
- Ms. SUSAN S , Assistant. Professor, M.A., M.Phil., NET.
M.A.ENGLISH ASSOCIATION ACTIVITIES
‘Odin’s Literati’- The P.G. English Literary Association conducts Inter-Departmental Competitions and Inter-Collegiate competitions to encourage the creative ability and the literary affinity of the students. The association also organises guest lectures by eminent professors and resource persons in literature to expose the students to the various emerging trends in language and literary studies.
Remarkable achievements of the students:
- Angeline Jeba of the 2013-15 is pursuing Research at Vels University (part time)
- P. Divya Saraswathi of the 2013-15 batch qualified for Assistant Professorship in the SET exams conducted in the year 2017.
- Keethana of 2014-16 batch is pursuing Research at the Univeristy of Madras (full time)
- R. Prasannakumari of the 2016-18 batch qualified for Assistant Professorship in the NET exams conducted in the year 2017.
- Rajalakshmi of 2017-19 batch qualified for Assistant Professorship in the NET exams conducted in the year 2019
- The I MA students’ team belonging to the batch 2017-19 won the First prize as well as Best Director award at the Theatre Fest- an intercollegiate competition conducted by the Department of English, University of Madras, for various colleges of the city and the colleges in the suburbs. Of the total participation of 13 teams from various colleges our students bagged the First prize and the Best Director award.