ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Shrimathi Devkunwar Nanalal Bhatt Vaishnav College for Women was established on 27/06/1968 with six departments. The institution got U.G.C recognition under 2F and 12 B in January 1970. History is the prime subject for all civil service recruitments; hence the department of History was established in August, 1971. Mrs.Uma Natesan was the Head of the Department from 1971 to 1994 .Since 1994 the department was functioning under the able guidance of Mrs.A.K. Janaki (1994-1997) , Dr.S.Geetha Kannammal (1997-2014), and Dr.G.D.Anantha Vijayakumari (2014-2017). From 2017 onwards Dr.J.R.Banumathi is heading the Department. At present there are two aided staff including the head of the Department and several innovative measures have been implemented under their able guidance and leadership.
Travel and Tourism today has become a large giant in terms of employment. Hence to utilize this phenomenon History and Tourism as twin major subjects was introduced in the Academic year 2004-2005. Apart from an in-depth knowledge of the core subjects pertaining to History, subjects like Tourism Principles and Practices, Tourism and Tourist Resources in India, Hotel Management, Geography of Tourism I and II, Air Ticketing and Fare Construction, Fairs and Festivals in India and Tourism in Tamil Nadu have been structured to justify the Twin Major Course.
In order to give industrial exposure the Department organizes various internship programs for their students every year. The institutions and organizations offering internship to II and III B.A History and Tourism students are:
State Department of Archaeology,
Tamil Nadu Government Museum,
The Department moved one step ahead by signing MOU on 26.02.2019 with prestigious Balmier Laurie &Co.Ltd ( A Government Of India Enterprise ) credited with MINI RATNA status by the Government of India. It will benefit the students from getting hands on training in Travel industry. Job oriented certificate courses and MOUs with other leading industries and organizations are in the pipeline of the department as future programs.
- UG- HISTORY AND TOURISM
- Ph.D- FULL-TIME & PART-TIME
- Air cargo
- Travel Agncies
- Tour Guide
- Hospitality Industry
- Curator in Museum
- TNPSC and UPSC
- Front Office Management
HISTORY ASSOCIATION (BHARATH)
The following association activities are carried by the department of History.
The department of History signed MOU with Balmer Lawrie & Co, a Mini Ratna Awardee by Govt. of India.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Innovative Teaching in class rooms:
- Internships are arranged in Balmer Lawrie & Co, State Department of Archaeology, Museum, ITDC to give hands on training to the students.
- Practical knowledge about air ticketing and air fare construction is taught to the students by a professional expert through guest lecture.
- Quiz competitions on tourism are conducted periodically.
- Students are motivated to give multimedia presentation on important tourist centers which enable them to have first hand information about tourist spots in the country.
- OHP is used for class room lecture.
- Group discussions and seminars are being encouraged among the students to have a better understanding of the subject.
- Special lectures and seminars are conducted by eminent personalities on tourism and current and historical topics.
- Paper on human rights is very helpful to the students to know their rights and the violation of human rights.
Details of Innovative papers introduced
- Job oriented papers in Tourism Industry
a. Tourism and Travel Management
b. Hotel Management
c. Air Ticketing and Fare construction
d. Geography of Tourism
Above mentioned papers help the students to get employment in tourism industry, Hotel Industry, Logistic and Air Industry.
- Papers that leads to P.G and Research
a. Women’s Studies
c. Geography of Tourism
d. Archives Keeping
- Indian History paper has been split up into 6 papers for semesters. In order to give in-depth knowledge for students towards their Civil Services examination preparation.