ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
TThe Department of Chemistry was established in the year 1968 to teach ancillary Chemistry in the PUC (Pre-University).B.Sc Chemistry as a Major degree was started in the 1978.
UG –B.Sc Chemistry under Aided stream
PG – M.Sc. Chemistry under Self finance
Interdisciplinary Paper-Instrumental techniques in Chemistry offered to Physics and Plant Biology and Plant BioTechnology
Skill Based Paper
Title : Detection of Adulteration of Food stuffs
Computing Skills Title :Chem Paint
- Diploma in Medical Lab Technician course
Department of Chemistry has signed MOU with the Stannis Institute , Porur for the benefit of students of Chemistry and Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology. Stannis Institute train our students and place them in various Hospitals like Apollo, Chettinad, Globa etc as Lab Technicians .
- DBT -Various activities were conducted under DBT scheme from 2014-15 to 17-18
- Workshop on Video recording was conducted for the I year students of B.SC Chemistry, Physics, Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology on 10.10.2015 by Mrs.D.Gomathi, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Science and Humanities, SRM University, Kattankulathur, Chennai
- Workshop on the recording and Interpretation of FTIR spectra was conducted for Chemistry, Physics and Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology on 04.01.2016 by Mr.Prabhu, Manager, Genius Lab Care Instruments, Thoraipakkam, Chennai
- Dr.Mrs.C.Mansiya,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D., Assistant Professor& Head
- Mrs.S.Padmapriya, M.Sc.,M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- Mrs.S.Niranjani, M.Sc., Assistant Professor
The Department of Chemistry (Day Stream) inaugurated the CHEMUTSAV ’18 on 28.08.2018 by conducting the various inter-departmental activities. The association of our department conducted CHEM TALK to bring out the knowledge of students in chemistry. Adulteration, Air pollution, Plastics and Chemistry in Everyday Life were chosen as topics and given on spot.The students explored their knowledge on these topics. Dr. Mrs. P. Beena, Assistant Professor, Department of English judged the students.
CHEM QUIZ was conducted for the students to pop their acquaintance in chemistry. Dr. P. Koteeswari, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics lead the competition. The competition was focussed for connective intelligence of the students. It is a fun game where the students correlated the clue pictures with the answers. It invoked the familiarity in chemistry. Dr. C. B. Nirmala, Assistant Professor, Department of Plant Biology and Plant Biotechnology lead the competition. The winners were honoured.
There is an increasing recognition of the important role education can play in developing entrepreneurial mind-sets, attitudes and societies and improving young people’s employability overall. Effective youth entrepreneurship education prepares young people to be responsible, enterprising individuals who become entrepreneurs or entrepreneurial thinkers and contribute to economic development and sustainable communities. Facilitating young people to earn a living through entrepreneurship can make a crucial contribution to poverty reduction and economic growth.
Department of Chemistry conducted one-day workshop – hands-on training on Entrepreneurship Development Programme in Chemistry on 16th October 2018 by Prof. N. Elangovan, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, A.M. Jain College, Meenambakkam, Chennai, Science academy of India, R&D Lab Consultant, JAM coaching. The students of Chemistry, Physics and PBPBTparticipated in the event. Students were trained to prepare Soaps, Detergents and Floor cleaners from natural and artificial ingredients.
- Ajeetha S., II B.Sc., Chemistry won II Prize in short film on “Go Green” in St. Brittos’s College, held on 31-August-2018
- Abinaya S. & Sowmya R., II B.Sc. Chemistry has presented a poster on “Are we Bin? Ocean!” in D.G. Vaishnav College held on 12-September 2018 and won the II Prize.
- Haripriya V. & Sowmiya R., I B.Sc., Chemistry has presented a poster on “Are we Bin? Ocean!” in D.G. Vaishnav College held on 12-September 2018.
- Sowmiya R., I B.Sc., Chemistry has participated in a painting competition conducted by Nobel Laureate Mother Teresa Charitable Trust, Chennai to mark Mother Teresa’s 108th Birthday celebration held on 13-September-2018 and won the Second prize with a cash award of Rs. 5000/-.
- Janani M., Keerthana S. and Saveetha V. of III B.Sc. Chemistry won II Prize in Rangoli, Carbonival ’18, conducted by Department of Chemistry, Loyola College on 14.12.2018.
- Bhavithra S of III B.Sc. Chemistry won III Prize in Just A Minute, Carbonival ’18 conducted by Department of Chemistry, Loyola College on 14.12.2018.
- Kavitha S. and Sowmiya R. of II B.Sc. Chemistry won III Prize in Poster Making, Carbonival ’18 conducted by Department of Chemistry, Loyola College on 14.12.2018.
- Tejaswini V, Saiathreya K, Ambika M, PriyaDevi J, Keerhthana S, Bharathi R, Subashini A, Janani M, Sandhiya S, Shenbagam S of III B.Sc., Chemistry attended RSC Lecture on “150 years of the Periodic Table: The elements of life and Medicine”, during the celebrations of International year of Periodic Table-2019 on 6th February 2019 at Stella Maris College, Chennai 86.
- Pavithra G. And Saveetha V. of III B.Sc., Chemistry won I Prize in Cooking without Fire, Newtron ’19 conducted by Department of Chemistry, New College on 12.02.2019.
- Kavitha S. and Sowmiya R. of II B.Sc. Chemistry won III Prize in Chem Draw, Newtron ’19 conducted by Department of Chemistry, New College on 12.02.2019.
- Madhumitha K of III B.Sc. Chemistry won III Prize in Chem Jam, Newtron ’19 conducted by Department of Chemistry, New College on 12.02.2019.
- Vidhya Devi G. and Priya Devi J. of III B.Sc., Chemistry won III Prize in UG Quiz, Aroma ’19 conducted by Department of Chemistry, Madras Christian College (Autonomous) on 27.02.2019.
- Suma K of III B.Sc. Chemistry won III Prize in Chem Sketch, Aroma ’19 conducted by Department of Chemistry, Madras Christian College (Autonomous) on 27.02.2019.The students of III B.Sc. Chemistry have participated in Awareness Programme on Careers in Chemistry conducted by Department of Chemistry, B.S. Abdur Rahman Crescent College, held on 25.02.2019.
Industrial visits offer a great source to gain practical knowledge. It is considered as a part of college curriculum and objectives of industrial visit is to provide students an insight regarding internal working of companies. Students can observe and learn as to how theatrical concepts are put to into action, thereby aiding their practical learning. Students are exposed to real working environment and shown how things are done in an organisation. Thereafter, an industrial visit was organised for final year undergraduate students on 12th March 2019 to visit HINDUSTAN COCA COLA BEVERAGES PVT LTD in Vellavedu, Chennai. Chemistry plays an important role in most industrial processes. It provided students an opportunity to learn practically through interaction, working methods and employment practices. Visiting a company gives them a practical perspective on the world of work